HISTORY

The name, King’s Road, refers to the brewery’s address on King’s Highway. The King’s Road, or King’s Highway, was built in 1681 by the Colonial Assembly. In New Jersey, the highway ran from Burlington City,  through Haddonfield, and continued on to Salem.

The historic building in which the brewery is located was built in 1777 and originally served as the town’s tavern. It was known as Gibbs Tavern, and was one of several taverns that dotted the local landscape during the 18th and 19th centuries. Some of the other taverns at this time included the historic Indian King Tavern and Blazing Rag.

Just a few yards from King’s Road Brewing Company along Kings Highway, stands the Indian King Tavern. It is now a museum and historic landmark, but once served as a colonial American tavern, which was the site of a 1777 meeting of the New Jersey General Assembly that officially ratified the Declaration of Independence.

In 1873, where Kresson Road meets Haddonfield-Belin Road (originally called Haddonfield-Long-a-Coming Road) stood a tavern named the Blazing Rag. It was located in the tiny hamlet then known as Batesville, just across Haddonfield’s eastern border.

Blazing Rag is now the name of one of our most popular IPA’s, and King’s Road Brewing Company is a destination for beer drinkers and craft beer connoisseurs from all across the region. The brewery offers a tasting room where patrons can enjoy one of our hand-crafted ales. Or, they can grab a growler or crowler of their favorite beer to go, and take it to one of the many BYOB restaurants in the borough.